What People Say About Us
Comments on Classroom Storytelling Project
- I've taught prekindergarten for 14 years. After this year with the Storytelling Project, my children are writing more and reading more than they ever have before.
- I know my students so much better this year, both academically and personally.
- Some of my struggling children turned out to be great storytellers and actors. Being successful at storytelling led to greater success in everything.
- My Mentor provides lots of practical advice. I can tell she has been in the classroom for many years. It's hard to take advice from someone who hasn't a clue what it's like in the classroom. She never made me feel intimidated while visiting me.
- I learned to teach many of our "essential skills" in a fun way. Children learned to trust me and each other. They took pride in their work and learned so much.
- The Storytelling Project has not only changed the children's lives academically with growth in oral language, print awareness, etc., but there's also been tremendous emotional growth, especially in their self-esteem.
Comments on Cultural Conversations
- Cultural Conversations helped me to clarify some ideas I'd been thinking about my teaching. I was able to reflect on isolated incidents and gain meaning from my prior mistakes and reassurance from my past successes.
- I found being in a diverse group, where varied opinions were expected and encouraged, to be professionally eye-opening . People really do bring all of who they are to any given subject.
- The part of Cultural Conversations that I found most helpful was the dialogue between our group members. In each session I felt I gained professional partners, people who knew the same students and saw the same problems and were willing to work together on similar solutions.